Select Page

choices?

Home Forums Game Design Discussion choices?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  kerrick 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

kerrick
    Participant

Is there a mechanism I can use to make doing one quest lock others for that user? I’m thinking of using this for choice points in my game design, where users can choose e.g. walk through the forest or build a boat to go down the river, and each leads to a different set of quests.

skocko
    Keymaster

I can think of several, but it all depends on how you set up the map. What do you want the map/map section(s) to look like?

kerrick
    Participant

I’m still developing that, but I’m thinking using the maps to explore subfields of engineering through a metaphor of places (thinking you go through a cave of mechanical engineering to get to the city of electronics to get to the citadel of robotics or something) and choices within the maps would lead to different chains within the same map? But if there’s a clearly better way to do it, I’m open.

I am having a little bit of a dilemma because I have one idea of how to set up the intro to engineering portion of the class and another idea for how to structure the self-paced exploration that’s more narrative. But I probably can do a hybrid, or else I’ll set up the narrative portion as an unlockable advanced tree that you access after you finish the first part.

skocko
    Keymaster

Sounds very cool, Kerrick, but I think I asked the wrong question.

To simplify: Do you want a strategy to unlock either an A chain or a B chain (but not both)?

Meaning, if a player chooses A, then B is inaccessible (and vice versa). Is that right?

mcmick
    Keymaster

Badge or group locks both seem like good options to get what you are looking for.  Badges can be assigned at the end of a quest, in a store item, or by admin (soon).

kerrick
    Participant

Yes, Mike, that’s right. So choosing the “go through the forest” path closes off the “sail down the river” path.

Badges as a store item sound like a good option. So I could have a link to the store item that assigns the badge right in the text. (Problem, perhaps, if they click both links out of curiosity, but I’ll figure out how to keep that from happening.)

skocko
    Keymaster

Hey Mick: We have a badge filter that unlocks. Could we also have a badge filter that locks for either/or situations like Kerrick’s?

Say the choice is between a CAT or DOG badge.

• The CAT badge unlocks the Cat quest chain.
    • The DOG badge unlocks the Dog quest chain.
    • Cheaters who acquire both badges would be locked out of both chains

It’s either that or a special store item that contains an either/or choice—in this case, the CAT or DOG badge. (That could be really fun to employ in the game!)

If all else fails, we’re back to analog rule enforcement. (Not nearly as fun.)

kerrick
    Participant

So I guess to be clear, I’ll be able to make a quest that will be locked if a player HAS a certain badge, right?

skocko
    Keymaster

Not at present. That’s new functionality.

kerrick
    Participant

Okay, I can work with it. Thanks for helping me think this through; it’s good for planning how I’ll lay out the game structure down the road.

mcmick
    Keymaster

I hadn’t visited this thread in a while.  It’s an interesting idea and could be implemented.  I see several issues though.  How are you going to prevent users from accidentally getting two badges?  Would there need to be a way for students to surrender a badge to switch to the other path?  And then there are the vast majority of users who would not be using this feature and now have an option that looks similar to “lock unless badge” that now does the opposite of what they expect.  I’m working to eliminate bloat to improve the user interface and this seems like it would complicate the UI for most users.

Just a thought, give every user 1000G in the store which they have to spend to buy a 1000G badge that is the unlock badge.  That way they can only have one.

Let me know what you think.  Either way it would be down the road a ways before any changes happen.  Still bug fixes and some high priority items to add (and limited time now that schools back in session).

kerrick
    Participant

Yeah, I don’t think I’ll use the 1000G store badge route for this, but giving the badge with an item from a link right in the text could work… I’m still mulling this over; this is for later iterations of my game/curriculum…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar