Select Page

v4 Roll out Plan

Home Forums v4 Alpha Test v4 Roll out Plan

This topic contains 25 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  skocko 2 months ago.

• Author

mcmick
    Keymaster

For planing purposes, here is my goals for the v4 rollout timeline.

June:
    ​I will build out the store, clipboard, stats panel, tools and the rest. The sandbox will update with new features for testing as they are built.

End of June:
    ​v4.0b . The initial release will certainly still have bugs, but the core will be stable enough for the building of sites during the summer as I continue to debug the site.

End of July:
    ​Stable release ready for players.

matthewm1970
    Participant

Mostly adding myself in order to get alerts. I am not a coder but I play one in school and I’m pretty good at breaking stuff and digging into it to figure out why, even though I can’t usually fix it myself.  🙂

garlicsuter
    Participant

The version 4.0b will be stable enough to warrant making my actual courses in, is that correct? I’d hate to lose that work!

mcmick
    Keymaster

The beta will be stable enough to build your course.  It should be ready in the next couple days.

mrchase
    Participant

I’m setting up my course now.  Students will be using v4.0 on July 23rd 🙂

garlicsuter
    Participant

Update: Nevermind, found the plugin download and intro video.

Will all v4 Game On sites need to be created here on gameful.me? I’d like to have the plugin I could download and install into my own website if possible, but I don’t see it for download. Thanks!

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  garlicsuter.

skocko
    Keymaster

Hey, Mark, I’m using the plugin, too. Not fully functional, yet, but solid to build with. Have fun!

skocko
    Keymaster

Jonathan, you start school way too early! 🙂

adamcoulson
    Participant

When I upgrade to V4 for V3 will I lose content AND functionality with the existing quests? I did a test and it seems like I lose everything?

mcmick
    Keymaster

Welcome to the forum Adam.  The post content (both quests and store items) does not move automatically on update.  Just the titles show.  There is an update tool in the dashboard.  Look for it in the Game On section just under the Users.  It will move most all of the content from the posts over.

adamcoulson
    Participant

Are the links in wordpress for the new version notes suppose to be active for access to videos? I’m trying my best to become familiar and I thought I remember seeing a video earlier in the summer that would have helped? My focus right now is on how to use and organize the mapping features according to the quests I formerly had in chains.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  adamcoulson.

adamcoulson
    Participant

Never mind I found all your videos on the Game On youtube page.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  adamcoulson.

mcmick
    Keymaster

I’m glad you found them.  I have been slow to get back to people.  For two days I’ve felt like I was minutes away from a new release, only to find more glaring bugs.  But . . . it’s up as of about 10 minutes ago.

https://github.com/mcmick/game-on-v4/releases/tag/v4.07b

Here’s the link to the videos for those who might need it.  I just posted a few more including one for student blogging in Game On!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1G3josozpubdzaINcFjk0g

mcmick
    Keymaster

New Release is available.

https://github.com/mcmick/game-on-v4/releases/tag/v4.07.13b

Change Log:

• Fixed sections on scheduled access for store and quests.
    • Lots of blog fixes–media button, css, create posts independently of tasks, edit button on blog.

mcmick
    Keymaster

New Release is available.

https://github.com/mcmick/game-on-v4/releases/tag/v4.07.14b

Change Log:

• Clipboard fixed

adamcoulson
    Participant

Just confirming that I’m not missing something: Is there a way to apply default or preset values to stages of quests or do you have to apply each value to each stage manually?

skocko
    Keymaster

Adam, right now it’s manually unless you use the Clone button. I have boilerplate quests with pre-assigned values that I clone, edit, and publish. Saves a lot of time!

adamcoulson
    Participant

Bummer. Wish I would have transferred over those values when I used the update quests tool. Oh well at least I don’t have to remake all those quest and the old ones have no value if students find them.

mcmick
    Keymaster

New release:

https://github.com/mcmick/game-on-v4/releases

Lots of bug fixes.  I’m using with students now–the real testing has begun.

adamcoulson
    Participant

I know that you can easily add stages to a quest but am I missing the ability to remove stages from a quest? Some quests I would like to have only three stages while another time I simply accidentally added a stage and couldn’t figure out how to remove that extra stage.

adamcoulson
    Participant

I also can’t seem to find where students can see that a message was sent to them. This would be important for them to know they received a bonus or penalty is awarded without directly telling the student to look in their History?

mcmick
    Keymaster

New release:

Bug fixes:

• Bonus Loot applies decimals on drop rate
    • Shortcodes in outro works
    • Stats panel now is rounding health
    • Upload file now works in Firefox
    • Stats links have don’t allow double clicks/opens
    • Links now show in the Activity column on the Quests tab on Stats
    • Cursor pointer for buttons on tasks, Upload button centered in check for understanding box

Improvements:

• Remove Blog Link from blog header
    • Blog images are now lightboxed
    • Blog Posts on Stats open in lightbox
    • Blog posts show inline in quest
    • Multiple tasks can be reset at once
    • Reset single task button works beyond the first 10.
    • Reset tasks now show status as reset, not -1
    • Loot validation on front end entry–decimals limited to appropriate values
    • Editing map/map section info no longer moves it to the first position in order.
    • Shortcode Menu names/text

mcmick
    Keymaster

New release:

This update is all about speed. Object caching, database caching, and transients are all used to reduce the number of server queries up to 90% in some cases. This will greatly reduce the server resources needed to run the plugin.

There are many other bug fixes including multiple choice works now, lots of updates to the blog and more.

garlicsuter
    Participant

Can you clarify the updating procedure from 4.x to 4.y?

Here’s what I did:

• Deactivate the Game On plugin v 4.x
    • Upload & Install v 4.y
    • Stare at two side-by-side installations of Game On plugins, wondering if I screwed up. 🙂
    • Check quests, they seem ok.

Do I just delete the v 4.x version safely then?

skocko
    Keymaster

Yes. 4.y is the bomb! (4.y rocks!)

skocko
    Keymaster

Just to be clear, delete 4.x and activate 4.2.

Mick has done some amazing work. Game On just keeps evolving.

—–

P.S. Something new is in the oven. It’s going to take some time to bake, but it will be worth the wait.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar